It seems that the Powers have been found in Blackhead since before 1832, possibly as far back as 1754.
The murder of merchant William Keene in September 1754 involved an Irish servant girl Eleanor and her husband Robert Power, a fisherman who resided in Blackhead. This suggests that there may have been Powers there then, either permanently or seasonally.
In the Basilica records, the surname Power occurs many times as baptism sponsor of the children of known residents of Blackhead before 1850.
The Express on March 7, 1860 reported the inquest at Blackhead Bay on the body of William Keefe, age 16. He and another man named John Power were involved in an altercation. Power hit Keefe with a beachstone. The verdict was manslaughter against Power.
In 1871, John Power is listed in Lovell’s directory as a planter. Patrick Power married Elizabeth Kerrivan (Four children). Thomas Power married Elizabeth Bradbury (Five children).
In September 1888, three men of the Power family drowned on their way to Blackhead from St.John’s. The men were Patrick Power, age 45; his brother George Power, age 32; and Patricks son Joseph. The newspaper article covering the incident reported that Patrick left a wife and three children besides Joseph. George was unmarried but supported his 90 year old father and his sister. The 90 year old father was most likely John Power of the 1871 directory. He was married to Ellen Merrigan. They had at least five children.
There are no Power men living in Blackhead by 1894 according to the directories. The Petty Harbor burial records have Mary Power aged 70 who died July 12, 1909, born and buried in Blackhead, She could be the daughter of John and sister of Patrick and George as mentioned in the newspaper story about the drownings.