Michael Leamy shows up in the 1871 directory for Blackhead. Michael did not live in the community of Blackhead, but farmed in the area where the road to St.John’s crossed the stream that runs into Freshwater Bay. That area is still referred to as Leamy’s and the hill on the Blackhead side as Leamy’s Hill.
Michael Leamy was married to Margaret O’Donnell. Both were from Calin Co. Tipperary, Ireland. Margaret was the sister of Reverend Jeremiah, Richard, Patrick and David O’Donnell.
Michael and Margaret had at least four children. Daughter Annie was the teacher at the Blackhead school in 1889 and 1890. In 1891 she married David Shea. In 1896 they lived in St.John’s on Longs Hill. Son Edward married Mary Kelly. Daughter Bridget married William O’Driscoll.
Michael was listed as a farmer in the 1871 directory. He died in 1891 at age 68. Margaret died in 1889 at age 64. Margaret O’Donnell and Michael Leamy are buried at Belvedere Cemetary .
Edward Leamy is listed in the 1894 Directory.
In the 1921 Census there is a Reverend M. Leamy born in 1895 at Blackhead, living at The Palace. He could be the son of Edward Leamy.