The Blackhead One Rom School and Church Museum is owned and operated by the
Chapel Restoration Committee – Blackhead, Cape Spear Inc. It is located in St. John’s, in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
The Chapel Restoration Committee is a not-for-profit organization, incorporated in 1997. It’s mandate is to preserve and restore St. Joseph’s Chapel at
Blackhead, Cape Spear and when possible to heighten the awareness of the history surrounding the establishment of a chapel in the community.
Over the years, the mandate has braodened to include development of a museum in the building and promotion of the structure’s role as a one room school in the community. Over the last several years, the Committee has also performed some cemetery maintenance.
Our building was constructed as a wooden one room school in the summer of 1879. Over the years that followed
the building at times doubled as a Roman Catholic church. Around 1965 the chool was closed and the building continued on as a church
until around 1990. In 1996 the Chapel Restoration assumed care of the building from the St. John’s R.C. Episcopal Corporation.
The Blackhead Museum is a registered heritage structure with the city of St. John’s and is a provincial
designated heritage structure.
The Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
The Chapel Restoration Committee is a full member of the Newfoundland and Labrador Museum Association.
Bonita Ryan – Chair
Vice Chair – Vacant
Antoinette Ryan – Treasurer
Angela King – Secretary
Wes Ryan – Member at Large
We are a registered charity with the Canada Revenue Agency.
Financial details can be found on the Canada Revenue Agency Charities Listings